Canvas: Step By Step Instructions for Set-up
Step 1: Logging in to your child's chromebook
To access Canvas, students first need to login to their chromebook. Our Middle Academy students use their chromebooks daily and are well-versed in logging. For our littles, this will be their first time logging into the chromebook and not just using an app. Please help guide your child in logging in to their chromebook by following the directions below:
- Open the chromebook and ensure it is powered on.
- If the chromebook does not turn on right away, please plug it in the the charger provider and let it charge for 60-90 minutes.
- The power button looks like this:
- A screen will appear that asks for your student's login information. Every child at Vega has their own email address and password. If you have questions regarding your child's username and password, please text the school through TalkingPoints, or send a message via Facebook Messenger and we will give you your child's unique email and password. All student emails and passwords follow the setup below:
Email Address: first three letters of first name.first three letters of last name.graduation firstname.lastname@example.org – for example: email@example.com)
Password: VCAstudentbirthday – for example: VCA09262007
Please text or call 720-504-7720 if you have trouble logging in.
Step 2: Accessing Your Child's Email
Option A: Login to your email via www.gmail.com
Option B: Click on the gmail icon at the bottom of the chromebook screen
- If this is your first time logging into this account, you will need to click ‘accept’ on the bright blue 'Accept' button
Step 3: Locating the Canvas Email/Logging into Canvas
Locate the email titled ‘Course Invitation.’
Click on the link in the email titled “Instructure Canvas - Course Invitation”
- Click on the bright blue ‘get started’ button
- You will be directed to a screen that looks like this:
Login using the same email address and password as your vegacollegiateacademy.org account.
Step 4: Your Canvas Dashboard
When you login, you will be directed to your course dashboard. Your dashboard will have lots of boxes - 1 box for each course you are enrolled in.
When you click on a box, it will take you to that course's homepage. Here is an example of our 7th grade science homepage for students enrolled in Duke and UMich:
Here is an example of our 5th grade math page for students enrolled in Stanford:
Here is an example of our 1st grade homepage for students enrolled in Columbia:
Step 5: Getting Comfortable With Canvas (Students)
We recommend watching the following videos (primarily for Middle Academy students in grades 5-7) to get familiar with the Canvas platform. We also have a specially crafted for students to take on Canvas to introduce them to the system.
Video 1: Assignments Overview
Step 6: Getting Comfortable With Canvas (Parents)